Brendan Rodgers explained Kasper Schmeichel is a “environment-course goalkeeper” after his penalty conserve proved pivotal in Leicester’s drab Leading League goalless attract against Brighton.
Denmark’s Schmeichel dived brilliantly reduced to his correct to hold the energy from Neal Maupay, who had been Brighton’s hero in the past activity with a late winner in opposition to Arsenal.
It was the only likelihood of note in a lacklustre match, not aided by an vacant stadium or the scorching climate.
“Kasper has produced a good conserve from the penalty, he’s invaluable,” claimed Leicester manager Rodgers.
“There is absolutely no question that he is 1 of the prime goalkeepers in this league. Just his presence in the objective and his leadership.
“He scientific tests penalty takers and puts in the get the job done and he’s so agile. He has been definitely amazing in the two online games again.”
The point consolidated Leicester’s maintain on third area in the desk, 9 points distinct of Manchester United in fifth, though Brighton moved 6 points away from the relegation zone.
One to forget
There have been dilemma marks over the leisure variable in some top-flight game titles considering that the restart and this fixture will not are living extensive in the memory.
Rodgers could be worried by his side’s downturn in kind in the second fifty percent of the period – they have received only a person of their earlier seven games, having at 1 phase been the nearest rivals to runaway league leaders Liverpool.
Meanwhile, Brighton’s earn against Arsenal on Saturday was their first of the year and they have lots of do the job to do to keep their top rated-flight status with Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool continue to to play, as well as a very important fixture from base-of-the-table Norwich.
Leicester captain Schmeichel built 1 conserve in the complete contest but it was vital as he guessed the proper way to keep out Maupay’s thumping penalty, awarded immediately after Justin James bundled in excess of Aaron Connolly in the area.
At the other stop, the studies will show Brighton goalkeeper Mat Ryan as having created two stops, despite the fact that they had been additional akin to go backs than attempts on purpose.
Leicester playmaker James Maddison scarcely manufactured a mark on the activity – he lashed a shot more than in disappointment – whilst striker Jamie Vardy’s wait around for his 100th Leading League purpose proceeds.
Leicester encounter Chelsea in the FA Cup sixth spherical on Sunday at 16:00 BST, whilst Brighton host Manchester United in the league on Tuesday at 20:15.
Shot shy – the stats
- Leicester have unsuccessful to score in four of their past six Leading League games (W1 D3 L2), as several as they had in their preceding 26 video games
- Brighton have kept back again-to-back away clean up sheets for only the next time in the Premier League, owning accomplished so in November 2017 less than Chris Hughton
- This was the initially Leading League match to see no shots on focus on recorded in the 2nd 50 percent because Boxing Working day 2018, when Brighton drew 1-1 towards Arsenal
- Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel has saved the past two penalties he has faced in the Leading League (also v Person Town), as many as he experienced in his former 23 penalties faced in the competition
- Brighton’s commencing XI towards Leicester had an typical age of 25 years 182 times – the youngest they have named in 107 Leading League games to day
- Tariq Lamptey (Brighton and Chelsea) is the initially teen to feature in a Leading League activity for two distinct golf equipment in the same season considering that Harry Kane in 2012-13 (Spurs and Norwich)