“Over the past eleven months, I have been thinking about how to address a personal situation made public in late-2019,” Jenner wrote. “Throughout that time, I reflected on a period in my life that I had previously kept in the darkness out of shame and fear, but I know this is something that needs to be addressed, not just publicly, but also privately with the individual directly affected and with myself.”
The actor and singer, 28, said that when he was 20, “I met a woman and we fell in love,” referring to Benoist, 32. However, in hindsight, he said they bonded over their “shared brokenness that stemmed from their childhoods.” And while the relationship brought them “joyous highs,” there was also “jealousy,” “insecurity” and “volatility.”
Blake Jenner attends Netflix’s WHAT / IF special screening at the London West Hollywood on May 16, 2019. (Photo: Charley Gallay/Getty Images for Netflix)
However, he notes that “without absolving myself of any responsibility, it is important to understand that there was mental, emotional and physical abuse inflicted from both ends.” And while he said it isn’t “meant to serve as an excuse,” he made some of his own claims, noting, “I also do believe that when allegations and information are brought forth about someone, that accountability goes both ways and one has a right to defend oneself when deemed necessary.”
He made multiple allegations against Benoist, claiming she “scratched,” “slapped,” “punched” and “physically assaulted” him. He said he was left “with a traumatic injury” after an incident in the shower, which he didn’t want to delve deeper into, and also had to go to the hospital for a broken nose.
“I, too, have had to conceal and make up lies about many visible injuries I had incurred throughout the relationship,” he wrote.
He also claimed he was forced to pass on multiple jobs due to Benoist being jealous of female co-stars. When he did work, he claimed she would become upset, one time allegedly calling him and threatening self-harm.
While he made his own allegations, he said he didn’t want to get into a “mudslinging match.” He doesn’t want to “drag her down in any way.” He wants to heal, which he has been doing through therapy for years now, having split from Benoist four years ago.
Toward the end, he addressed Benoist directly, apologizing, “However, the most important apology extends — then and now — to my former partner. I am sorry. There are many things that I wish I could have done differently; and while I wish it did not take the pain that was suffered throughout the course of our relationship, I will never regress to making the same mistakes ever again,” he vowed. “I will never stop doing the work necessary to better myself in all areas of my life. I wish you and your family nothing but good health, joy and love.”
recently welcomed her first child with her second husband, Chris Wood.” data-reactid=”76″>Benoist has not yet publicly responded to Jenner, but her many fans have, and felt there was too much victim-blaming in Jenner’s statement. They have also criticized the timing, as she recently welcomed her first child with her second husband, Chris Wood.
Blake Jenner waited over a year to make a statement only to victim blame Melissa Benoist and make himself look like the real victim? And only a few weeks after she welcomed her newborn? His manipulative and victim blaming “apology” means nothing. #IStandWithMelissa
— 𝓪𝓁𝒾𝒶𝓈 (@itsjustanx) October 8, 2020
Though many just sent her love.
Her video sharing her story has also been widely circulated and can be seen here: