Hello Austin folks! It’s me again, Meagan Falcon, your host for the Austin Daily. I hope you all had a nice weekend 🙂
We start this week’s digest with today’s top news from Monday and the events to look forward to today.
But first today’s Weather: Wet all day. High: 94 Low: 78.
The National Weather Service Austin / San Antonio reports that scattered showers and storms will continue in parts of south-central Texas throughout the working week. See weather.gov/ewx for more information.
Here are the top stories in Austin today:
- A SWAT distance on Gault Street ended peacefully After a few hours in north Austinsaid Austin Police. (KVUE.com)
- Many Austin hotels Offer free rooms for the evacuees of Hurricane Ida after the storm devastated Louisiana. (KEYE TV CBS Austin)
- A Person died Monday afternoon in Spicewood after a fatal accident with a dump truck. Here’s what we know so far. (KXAN.com)
- De’Ondre White, 19, who was arrested in June in connection with the mass shooting on Sixth Street in Austin indicted on Monday ad is confronted with serious bodily harm in 14 cases with a deadly weapon as well murder. (Austin patch)
- Two men went miss after swimming in Lake Travis on Saturday. The Travis County Sheriff’s Office will continue its rescue attempt on Monday. Here’s what we know (Austin patch)
Today’s Austin Daily is brought to you von Ring, manufacturer of home alarm systems. Ring alarm systems start at $ 199, and Ring offers free telephone consultation on setting up a system in your own home. Click here to learn more. Thank you ring for helping out local news in Austin!
Today in Austin
- Austin High Volleyball vs Stony Point HS (5:30 p.m.)
- Joint Debt Supervision Committee meeting (6 p.m.)
- SHAC HSR Curriculum Community Meeting (6:30 p.m.)
Austin Patch Notebook
- KUT Austin: “When a new round of laws goes into effect on Wednesday, Texas will officially become a Second Amendment Sanctuary.” )
- Austin-PBS: “Rember Yahuarcani is an indigenous painter and one of the last surviving members of the White Heron clan of the Uitoto Nation in Peru. He returns home to his Amazon community and discovers why the stories of his ancestors are illegible …” ( Facebook)
- Austin Chamber of Commerce: “We’re excited to return today to live events for our regional growth and mobility event with our great health security partner, ReturnSafe, whose platform helps us keep our attendees safe!” (Facebook)
- Pease Park Conservation Area: “Sustainability Spotlight: Use of Renewable Energies 100% of the park’s electricity comes from renewable energies. Austin Energy buys renewable energy from wind, solar and biomass plants to minimize the environmental impact of the city …” (Facebook)
- Austin-ISD: “Wearing a mask and social distancing could save you from unnecessary quarantine. Please see our health logs for more information. #AISDPrud https://www.austinisd.org/student-health/covid-19 “(Facebook)
From our sponsors – thank you for supporting local news!
Now you’re up to date and ready to walk out the door this Tuesday. Up soon! As you “vibrate” with these newsletters, be sure to invite some of your friends and neighbors to read along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
– Meagan falcon
Meagan covers local news for Patch in downtown Austin, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Leander and Pflugerville.
Born and raised in Corpus Christi, I spent three years covering breaking news and activity in South Texas before moving to the Austin Metro. When I’m not covering the news, I am enjoying a good book, tending my garden, and hanging out with my pup. I’m a green thumb beginner so if you have all of the gardening tips I would love some.
Do you have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Austin Daily? Send me an email at [email protected] I encourage all of my neighbors to follow me on Twitter @meaganfalcon for live local coverage.