FAIRFAX COUNTY, VA – Here are five local stories not to be missed in Fairfax County today:
1. Lorton Indoor Ski Slope Developer Launches Stock Offering: Alpine-X, the developer of a new indoor snow sports resort in a gated section of Fairfax County’s Lorton landfill, is holding a stock offering to the general public, an offer that is in the in the first week has already attracted more than 75 investors with a total volume of USD 120,000.
2. McLean Boy highlights food distributions as a Time Kid Reporter: Journalism is easy for 9-year-old McLean Ethan Zhang. The fourth grader at Churchill Road Elementary was assigned the task of interviewing and profiling a local boy and selected Maria Perrone, FCPS director of food and nutrition services. This story led to Zhang being named one of 10for the school year 2021-2022.
3. Thundering boom rattles homes from Ashburn to Alexandria: A thundering boom heard in the DC area around 10:45 am on Tuesday confused residents about the source of the noise. The boom could be heard from Ashburn to Centerville, east to Alexandria and DC, and in Montgomery County, Maryland. The noise wasnear Reston where a building was hit.
4. $ 46,000 in unreported currency seized from Customs at Dulles Airport: U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials conducted a random inspection of passengers boarding a flight to Brussels, Belgium when they asked a traveler how much currency he had with him. The man told them he was carrying $ 30,000 which he reported on the U.he had locked. When searching the man’s hand luggage, officers found $ 46,628 in US currency.
5th Motorcade of the fallen Navy drives through Fairfax: A motorcade with the body of a Marine killed in Afghanistan crossed the counties of Fairfax and Arlington on Monday. USMC Sgt. Nicole Gee, 23, was one of 13 US soldiers killed in an attack near Kabul airport in the Afghan capital on August 26.
Units from #FCFRD and @FairfaxCountyPD stood side by side along several flyovers over Rte 267 as we paid our respects to a fallen American hero. A procession carrying the body of @USMC Sgt. Nicole Gee made its way through Fairfax County tonight. Grateful for your service to 🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/VStsDf6srn
– Fairfax County Fire / Rescue (@ffxfirerescue) September 27, 2021
Visit your local patch for more news, events, and announcements in your community.
Virginia Gubernatorial Debate – Northern Virginia Community College campus in Alexandria: (September 28th)
Workforce Development and Retraining: Unleashing the Energy of American Workers (30. September)
Today’s lightning strike was so strong that people even heard the thundering shock wave on earthquake measuring devices. @ fox5dc did you hear it? https://t.co/xoTqBjxhTL
– Matthew Cappucci (@MatthewCappucci) September 28, 2021