Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Edinson Cavani: Manchester United striker canceled by Uruguay

Edinson Cavani made his first Manchester United game of the season when he came off the bench in a 1-0 win at Wolves on Sunday

Edinson Cavani will remain at Manchester United for the international break after his call-up to the Uruguay squad was canceled.

Cavani should miss United games as Fifa added two days to their international playing time in South America.

He should also have been quarantined for 10 days on his return to the UK.

Instead of partnering with his country for three World Cup qualifiers against Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador, Cavani will stay in the UK.

The Uruguayan Football Association said in a statement that it had “decided to cancel the call for footballer Edinson Cavani”.

The situation with South American players has resulted in Spain’s La Liga at the Spanish Football Association changing the postponement of two for the 11th week of the game.

Tottenham couple Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero are set to head to Argentina – a Red List country – meaning they will miss three Spurs games.

Argentina has World Cup qualifiers against Venezuela, Brazil and Bolivia – four red list countries that will have to be isolated in a government hotel for 10 days after returning to the UK.

Tottenham manager Nuno Espirito Santo has appealed for help from football and political authorities who say, “We can’t stop it but we’re trying to find the best way so we can get them earlier when they return.”

Aston Villa have also announced that the two Argentina internationals, goalkeeper Emi Martinez and midfielder Emi Buendia, will travel to South America for their first two qualifiers but will miss the third against Bolivia. This means that they will only be unavailable for one club game against Chelsea on September 11th.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino confirmed last week that he had written to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and “specifically asked for the necessary support so that players are not deprived of the opportunity to represent their country in qualifying matches for the FIFA World Cup”.

La Liga has lost an appeal to the Sports Arbitration Court for releasing players for South American World Cup qualifiers.

The league argued against Fifa’s decision to extend the September and October windows in South America to catch up on the qualifying games postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

It is said that postponing league games will “mitigate the irreparable damage caused by this decision, which threatens the athletic integrity of our competition”.

How to follow Manchester United on the BBC bannerManchester United banner footer

Comments are closed.